October 1, 2009

"L.A. Gear - They're Baaaaack!!!"



In 1979, Lonnie Britton founded L.A. Gear with dreams of marketing and renting roller skates in Venice Beach, California. To Britton's surprise, this dream quickly shifted into a different direction, athletic footwear. In the mid 1980's, L.A. Gear burst onto the scene with its primary focus centered around young women. The earliest models were high top fashion models which featured a velcro strap. In no time, L.A. Gears became known for their distinct, colorful schemes and two pairs of laces offered with each model.



 Other than being targeted to young females, L.A. Gear also gave a run at NBA endorsements. Being as the earliest shoe models were primarily made for basketball, the company managed to lure Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Karl Malone, and Hakeem Olajuwon to represent the brand. To this day. Karl Malone's Gears are considered one of the ugliest shoes of all time. (And I can't say that I disagree)



Probably the most memorable component that was featured on many of the L.A. Gear shoe models was the flashing lights. To this day, I can remember the first time I saw a kid with a pair of L.A. Gears walking through the mall. Initially, I was frozen in astonishment, then almost immediately I jerked on my mom's arm and excitedly asked her to buy me a pair. Pretty soon thereafter, you weren't one of the "cool kid" unless you had a pair of light up L.A. Gears. And what can we say... How ingenious, shoes that lit up with every step!



Well, I've got news folks... They're baaaaaack! As of last year, L.A. Gear decided to relaunch in attempts of a triumphant return. The new line features the old school "Unstoppable" model, the "Fire High," the "Star Shooter," and the "K.A.J. I've visited the L.A. Gear website and some of the styles actually aren't that bad. The bulky, high top sneaker is actually an "in" item right now, so I can see why the compnay chose to make a comeback. Don't just take my word on the new kicks. Take a look for yourself!






The Lights making a return as well!! Oh snaps!! HaHa....


1 comment: